Hotelier in dock for fire safety breaches
17 March 2017
A HOTEL in East Sussex has been prosecuted after a member of the public tipped off authorities that the building was unsafe.
In October 2015, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service (ESFRS) received a complaint that the Royal Victoria Hotel in St Leonard’s was offering accommodation that was not of sufficient standard. Inspectors from ESFRS visited the hotel and found a number of fire safety failings, which included fire doors that offered inadequate protection in the event of a fire. ESFRS issued an enforcement notice to the owner of the 52 room hotel, Dr Woo Sueng Shin, but he failed to make the necessary improvements within the agreed time period.
Shin appeared at Hastings Magistrates’ Court on 24 February and pleaded guilty to breaching the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, for contravening an enforcement notice. He was ordered to pay a fine of £1,174 and full costs of £4,264.
In sentencing, the Magistrates commented that he had ignored reminders regarding the outstanding work over an extended period of time and had misled the fire service when he wrote to them and advised them that the work had been completed. Inspectors later found that this was not the case.
ESFRS group manager for business safety Richard Fowler said: “It is an expectation that those who are in the hospitality industry place fire safety high on their agenda and have a full understanding of the expectations placed on them in order to keep people safe from fire.
- Fire Safety Matters Podcast - Episode 7
- Electrical Safety First launches fire safety-focused manifesto for Scotland’s homes
- Electrician prosecuted for illegal gas work
- ‘Setting the Bar’ report features “strong focus on accreditation” to demonstrate competency
- Police service continues to witness crime levels falling during lockdown
- International COVID-19 fraud case leads to arrests and sparks investigations in Europe
- Firefighters win “landmark” COVID-19 discrimination case
- JOB: Fire Safety Manager – Birmingham Airport
- Tech firms back plans to tighten cyber security
- “Ross-on-Wye laundry destroyed in massive fire” reports Business Sprinkler Alliance
- Laying down the law
- Student lettings firm fined £150,000 for fire failings
- From the editor
- Fire safety returns home to NEC Birmingham
- Blog for FSM website
- Huge fine for Lakanal House fire
- Restaurant chain served fine for fire breaches
- Laying down the law
- Prosecutions under the Fire Safety Order
- Landlord’s license revoked for fire safety failings