|Home>||Fire||>Fire and Rescue||>Fire on railway track|
Fire on railway track
10 June 2019
A GAS main had ruptured under the track of the Churnet Valley Railway. Gas rose to the surface and was ignited by a spark from a train passing over it.
Three appliances from Leek and Cheadle carrying 15 firefighters attended Froghall Railway Station. Firefighters and equipment had to be transported via steam train because the fire was in a remote location ¾ mile away.
The fire had ignited leaves and bushes on the embankment and crews worked to dampen down the area once the blaze was out to prevent it reigniting and spreading. Gas engineers were called to the scene but could not work on the main until the fire was extinguished.
Station manager Mark Walchester said, “We established a command post at Cheddleton Station where there was a diesel engine, which proved a better option for transporting personnel and equipment.
“We worked together with the gas engineers and the train operator in order to extinguish the fire. This was a difficult incident to deal with owing to the remote location and the continuous flow of gas through the pipe. We worked closely with the engineers to deal with the incident as safely and quickly as possible.
“We would like to thank staff at Cheddleton Station for supporting fire service personnel with transportation and refreshments throughout the duration of the incident.”
Gas engineers notified local residents of the interruption to their supply before excavating the gas mains, which stopped the leak and enabled the fire to be extinguished at 10.50pm.
- Prosecutions under the Fire Safety Order
- Scottish government launches fire safety consultation
- Labour Party agrees Annual Conference motion to “fight cladding scandal”
- BAFE emphasises importance of continued fire safety legislation enforcement as Government invokes ‘Lockdown 2’ across England
- Latest Home Office figures highlight fall in number of Fire and Rescue Service incidents
- Stronger sentences for attacks on firefighters
- Serious & Organised Crime and Forensics take centre stage at International Security Expo 2019
- Cardiff care home operators fined £400,000-plus due to fire breaches putting residents at “serious risk”
- Aviva issues stark warning as battery chargers lead to fires
- One of a kind
- State of the Union
- Government outlines fire service reforms
- From the editor
- Fire safety returns home to NEC Birmingham
- Blog for FSM website
- Cigarette fires on the rise
- Union outrage at 'obscene' pay rises
- State of the Union
- Fire safety on the agenda in Scotland
- Major fire at Worcester hub of home delivery firm