|Home>||Fire||>Fire and Rescue||>Airport Fire Officers Association AGM held at The Emergency Services Show|
Airport Fire Officers Association AGM held at The Emergency Services Show
04 October 2022
AIRPORT FIRE Officers Association (AFOA) members gathered at the NEC in Birmingham to attend the organisation’s 2022 Annual General Meeting (AGM), which was held as an informal working lunch on the first day of The Emergency Services Show.
AFOA chair Simon Petts (pictured) opened proceedings by presenting a cheque for £500 to Kerry James, fundraising manager at the Fire Fighters Charity.
In terms of the AFOA Committee, Petts will now be standing down after many years’ service as chair. From this month, Barry Alderslade has agreed to take over the role for a period of one year.
Kieran Merriman, CFO at BAE Systems, is joining the AFOA Committee, while Simon Lane (deputy CFO at Airbus) will be on board from next year. The Committee actively encourages further AFOA members to join if they feel that they’re able to contribute.
Suzanne Price, international sales and business development Manager at WL Gore & Associates (UK) Ltd, who sponsored the AGM, introduced the company’s latest GORE-TEX structural products including GORE-TEX CROSSTECH PARALLON for superior breathability and thermal protection even in wet conditions and GORE-TEX CROSSTECH PYRAD fabric providing lightweight comfort and protection for technical rescue.
Price’s colleague Oli Willson, UK sales manager for Gore & Associates (UK) Ltd’s footwear products, introduced delegates to the breathability benefits of GORE-TEX CROSSTECH footwear.
The AGM and luncheon was also sponsored by ERDT Emergency Response Driver Training.
2022 Annual Conference
The next AFOA event is the 2022 Annual Conference, which runs at the NEC Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel on 18 October. A limited number of places are still available. For a detailed speaker programme and booking details visit: https://www.afoa.org.uk/events/afoa-mini-conference/
AFOA is planning to return to its traditional two-day conference format, with up to 250 delegates and 20-plus exhibiting organisations, at an event to be held in late March next year. The dates and venue will be confirmed in due course. The 2023 AFOA AGM will be held at The Emergency Services Show.
Formed in 1988. the AFOA is a technical body dedicated to promoting and maintaining the professional image and status of airport fire services within the UK and Ireland, ensuring continued communications between them thanks to an ongoing dialogue designed to share knowledge and Best Practice on all relevant technical and operational matters.
Membership is open to airport fire officers of all ranks as well as local authority liaison officers, manufacturers, training providers and equipment suppliers with whom AFOA regularly collaborates on projects.
*Further information is available on the AFOA website at http://www.afoa.org.uk/
- Government issues guidance on PI insurance scheme for EWS-1 assessors
- Landlord's £177k fine for failing fire safety
- Fire Safety: Extinguishing The Myths
- Conservative Government “committed” to implementing Grenfell recommendations
- Hanwha Techwin introduces 4K Wisenet P Artificial Intelligence cameras
- NFCC calls for sustained funding as Home Office issues latest Prevention and Protection statistics
- Government focuses on drone threats to prisons
- Unmissable event
- Fire Commissioner calls for “urgent action” on unsafe buildings
- Kroll announces agreement with Tempest Security
- State of the Union
- Government outlines fire service reforms
- From the editor
- Fire safety returns home to NEC Birmingham
- Blog for FSM website
- Cigarette fires on the rise
- Union outrage at 'obscene' pay rises
- State of the Union
- Fire safety on the agenda in Scotland
- Major fire at Worcester hub of home delivery firm