Home>Fire>Enforcement>Dogs rescued from fire caused by candle
Home>Fire>Evacuation>Dogs rescued from fire caused by candle
Home>Fire>Fire and Rescue >Dogs rescued from fire caused by candle

Dogs rescued from fire caused by candle

10 September 2019

STAFFORDSHIRE FIRE and Rescue Service are urging residents to take care when using candles in their home following a serious fire in Burton.

Crews from Burton and Tutbury attended the blaze on Evershed Way at last week and found the house well alight. Two firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used a hose reel jet to put out the fire which had spread throughout the home. 

Firefighters rescued three Staffordshire bull terriers including one puppy which needed to be given oxygen using the smokey paws masks.

A fire investigation was carried out and concluded the incident was caused by a candle which had been left unattended. 

Station Manager Graham Mills said: “Fortunately no one was hurt during this fire as the occupants were not home and all the animals are believe to be alright however there is extensive damage to the property which means it will not be habitable for some time. 

“Candles may look nice in your home but they can be extremely dangerous. They can easily be knocked over especially by children or animals and if not in an appropriate holder can burn through surfaces and cause extensive damage.” 

Always follow these top tips if you are going to use candles in your home: 

  • Ensure candles are extinguished when leaving the home
  • Never leave lit candles unattended
  • Do not leave candles in the reach of children or animals
  • Ensure candles are in an appropriate holder