Home>Fire>Fire and Rescue >Dorset firefighters raise electrical safety concerns
Home>Fire>Manufacturing>Dorset firefighters raise electrical safety concerns

Dorset firefighters raise electrical safety concerns

24 November 2017

DORSET AND Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service (DWFRS) and UK Charity, Electrical Safety First, are using Electrical Fire Safety Week (20 to 26 November 2017) to raise awareness of the fire risk many electrical appliances in the home present.

Domestic electrical white goods, such as dishwashers, tumble dryers, and fridge freezers are still one of the leading causes of electrical fires in England.

While there has been a general drop in domestic fires, going from 33,280 in 2012-13 to 31,267 in 2015-16, the percentage with an electrical origin has consistently stayed at around half. Across England, there were a total of 18,375 electrical fires in 2015-16, causing 2,448 fatalities and injuries. That’s an average of 47 each week and seven a day.

Last year across Dorset and Wiltshire, there were 772 reported fires in the home, and of those, 136 of these were caused by faulty electrics. That is 17.6% of the total.  The main causes of these fires are product misuse and faulty appliances or installations.

DWFRS and Electrical Safety First have some simple tips to help people use the white goods in their homes safely:

  • Always buy from a reputable dealer/manufacturer and never buy second hand white goods;
  • Always register your appliance with the manufacturer so you can be notified if there’s a problem. Visit www.registermyappliance.org.uk;
  • Follow the manufacturer’s instructions;
  • If you’re concerned about an appliance in your home, use Electrical Safety First’s online product checker to see if it has been recalled; and
  • Visit www.whitegoodsafety.com for advice on using your appliances safely

Electrical Safety First chief executive Phil Buckle said“Electricity is the cause of over half of all domestic house fires in England each year. Faulty appliances and installations along with the misuse of electricity are amongst the major causes of these electrical fires, leading to avoidable deaths and injuries. With more than five fires a day in England caused by white goods, the Government needs to take immediate action to reduce this figure.”

DWFRS safe and well manager Vikki Thomas said: “A high number of fires across Dorset and Wiltshire are caused by the misuse of electrical appliances and these can be easily prevented.  A house fire can have devastating and long term effects, not only destroying belongings and memories but also putting you and your loved ones at risk. We are urging everybody to follow our simple advice to help them to stay safe in their homes.”

For more advice and safety tips on protecting your home from electrical fires and accidents visitwww.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/saferhomes or search #SaferHomes on social media.