Home>Security>Policing>London suffers fresh terrorist attack
Home>Security>Terrorism>London suffers fresh terrorist attack

London suffers fresh terrorist attack

19 June 2017

ONE PERSON has died and ten more are injured after a van drove into people as they left a mosque in North London.

In the early hours of this morning a van mounted a curb and began mowing down pedestrians outside the Finsbury Park Mosque. A 48-year-old white male was arrested at the scene in what the Prime Minister is describing as a “potential terrorist attack”. There are reports from witnesses that the attacker exited the vehicle and began shouting racist comments about Muslims.

The Metropolitan Police confirmed that the suspect has been arrested and taken to hospital for treatment. A statement said: “He has been taken to hospital as a precaution, and will be taken into custody once discharged.

“A number police units are at, and managing the cordons around, the crime scene, including local officers and those from neighbouring boroughs - supported by armed officers and the Territorial Support Group. The investigation of the incident is being carried out by the Counter Terrorism Command.

“At this early stage of this investigation, no other suspects at the scene have been identified or reported to police, however the investigation continues. Due to the nature of this incident extra policing resources have been deployed in order to reassure communities, especially those observing Ramadan.”

Muslim Council of Britain secretary general Harun Khan told the BBC: "Over the past weeks and months, Muslims have endured many incidents of Islamophobia, and this is the most violent manifestation to date.

"We expect the authorities to increase security outside mosques as a matter of urgency."

Home secretary Amber Rudd described the incident as “appalling”, she said: “My thoughts are with all those affected by the appalling incident at Finsbury Park. I am in contact with the Metropolitan Police who have confirmed it is being investigated by their Counter Terrorism Command.”