Home>Fire>Fire and Rescue >Carry on camping with alarms says Brigade

Carry on camping with alarms says Brigade

11 July 2018

THE BRIGADE is calling on caravan owners and users to ensure they are fitted with smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms, in a bid to prevent holiday tragedies this summer.

The Brigade said that smoke alarms are as important in caravans and mobile homes as they are in houses and flats.

According to the National Caravan Council (NCC), approximately 50 million nights are spent in around one million caravans in the UK each year.

Head of community safety at the Brigade, Chris O’Connor said, “It’s as important to have smoke and carbon monoxide alarms fitted in your caravan, as it is in your own home.

“It’s also vital never to bring a barbecue or a stove into a tent or caravan, as inhaling carbon monoxide fumes in an enclosed space can be fatal. Cooking in a tent is extremely dangerous – fire can destroy a tent in under a minute.

“During the heatwave many people are heading off on camping trips. We want people to enjoy themselves but also to stay safe by installing smoke and carbon monoxide alarms in their caravans and taking some sensible.”

Camping safety tips for caravans and tents

  • Fit working smoke alarms in every room where a fire may start in a caravan
  • Ensure caravans and tents are at least six metres apart and away from parked cars
  • Take extra care when cooking – don’t leave pans unattended
  • If you smoke, use metal ashtrays – and never smoke in bed
  • Don’t leave children alone inside and keep matches and lighters out of their reach
  • Don’t block air vents – if any leaking gas builds up you may fall unconscious and be unable to escape
  • Turn off all appliances before you leave the caravan or go to bed
  • Never use a cooker or heater whilst your caravan is moving
  • Never cook inside a tent
  • Don't smoke inside tents
  • Don't use petrol or paraffin to light a solid fuel stove 
  • Never bring barbecues inside a tent as the carbon monoxide fumes can be fatal – even hours after the barbecue has gone out and it is cold, it is still emitting enough CO to kill