|Home>||Fire||>Fire and Rescue||>Brigade appoints two new deputy commissioners|
Brigade appoints two new deputy commissioners
05 June 2019
LONDON FIRE Brigade has appointed assistant commissioners Richard Mills and Andy Roe as its new deputy commissioners.
Current deputy commissioner and director for safety and assurance Steve Apter leaves the Brigade next month to become the deputy chief fire officer of Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service and Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service. Tom George, the Brigade’s deputy commissioner and director of operations, retires from the Brigade in November after more than 30 years of service.
Richard Mills, assistant commissioner for operational policy and assurance, will take over as the deputy commissioner and director for safety and assurance on April 15 and Andy Roe, assistant commissioner for fire stations, will take up his new post as deputy commissioner and director of operations in November.
Richard joined the Brigade in 1992 serving as a firefighter at Leytonstone Fire Station before serving as a leading firefighter at Barking then Hornchurch fire stations. He rose through the ranks, before beginning his current role in 2016.
Proud to be leading the Brigade
Richard said, “I am delighted to take on this role and am proud to be working alongside the current and incoming team. I am looking forward to being part of the senior management team, leading the Brigade through the challenges and successes we face in the future.”
Andy joined the Brigade in 2002 having previously served with the British Army. He started as a firefighter at Clerkenwell Fire Station and served at a number of inner London fire stations and boroughs. He became an Assistant Commissioner in 2017.
Privilege to serve Londoners
Andy said, “It is a privilege to serve Londoners and I am incredibly grateful to be appointed as the Deputy Commissioner and Director of Operations. There are so many fantastic men and women within the organisation and it is an honour to be able to lead them.”
London fire commissioner Dany Cotton said, “I’d like to congratulate both Richard and Andy on their appointments as Deputy Commissioners and I have no doubt they will be fantastic leaders of the London Fire Brigade.
“I would like to thank Steve Apter for all his hard work and support over the last three years and wish him all the best as he takes on an exciting new challenge in Hampshire. Tom George will continue his excellent work in his current role until he retires in November.”
- Gatwick Airport validates emergency plan with multi-agency exercise
- New airport technology will enhance security
- Businesses assisted in keeping home workers secure with NCSC cyber exercise
- Corbyn attacks government's lack of action a year after Grenfell
- Showtime Security director given prison sentence
- Tech firms back plans to tighten cyber security
- FIA urges fire safety-focused practitioners to complete CROSS survey
- Leading manufacturers set for Fire Safety North
- United Technologies to divide into three
- Absent door supervisor found guilty
- State of the Union
- Government outlines fire service reforms
- From the editor
- Fire safety returns home to NEC Birmingham
- Blog for FSM website
- Cigarette fires on the rise
- Union outrage at 'obscene' pay rises
- State of the Union
- Fire safety on the agenda in Scotland
- Major fire at Worcester hub of home delivery firm