Home>Fire>Alarms and Detection>Smoking causes Shelton house fire
Home>Fire>Fire and Rescue >Smoking causes Shelton house fire

Smoking causes Shelton house fire

13 August 2019

STAFFORDSHIRE FIRE and Rescue Service is reminding residents to take care when smoking after another house fire was stared by a cigarette.

Crews were called to James Brindley Close to reports of a fire. Firefighters from Hanley and Newcastle attended and found the blaze had started in the bathroom. Two firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used one hose reel jet t tackle the blaze. 

A fire investigation was carried out and the cause is believed to be a cigarette left on a toilet roll in the bathroom. 

Smoking is one of the four factors that increases the likelihood of dying in fire which is highlighted in the Service’s SAME campaign along with alcohol, mobility issues and being elderly. 

Station manager Neil Pederson said, “Unfortunately we see a lot of incident cause by careless disposal of smoking materials and often these fires can lead to serious injury and damage to the property. 

“Fortunately the man inside the property was not harmed and we were able to get the fire under control quickly. 

“Please always put smoking materials in an appropriate ashtray which is emptied regularly. Always ensure a cigarette is put out properly and do not leave them near flammable materials.”